Connecting people to information and resources

We serve as an information clearinghouse to educate about legislation and issues that affect our community, state, and nation, with a focus on information and media literacy.

General Guide GovernmentMediaDiversity and EquityCommunityGuides for action

General Guide

Palouse Resource Guide


Contacting elected officials:

How do I call my representative?

How do I talk to Congress?

How else can I successfully contact my elected official?

How can I get an app that allows me to easily connect my representatives?

How do I know who my elected officials are?

How do I know which city council ward I live in (Pullman, WA)?

Voting and registering to vote:

How do I register to vote: in WA? in ID?

How do I know my voting rights?

How do I check my WA state voter registration status?

Learning about government:

How do I research and track Congressional legislation, bills, committee activities, and voting records?

How can I be notified when the president signs a bill into law, or when a bill is introduced that covers something I am interested in?

How do I track the decisions made by my elected officials on issues important to me?

How do I track the policy actions of the president?

How do I understand how the local/state/national government works?

How do I figure out who is on the Moscow city council?  Pullman city council?

How do I circulate a petition about an initiative or referendum:  in WA?  in ID?

How do I learn about the presidential election process?

Running for Local Office:

Sample Declaration and Petition of Candidacy - Latah County (PDF)

Candidate Filing Instructions - Whitman County (PDF)

Get On Board: Guide to School Board Tasks and Running for Board (PDF)

        Materials from the April 2017 Palouse ProActive workshop, Running for Local office:

        Latah County:

        Whitman County:


How do I spot "fake" news?

How do I find a list of known "fake" news outlets?

        How do I write a letter to the editor of the Daily News?

How do I write an effective letter to the editor?

Diversity and Equity

How do I  learn about the religions that others practice?

How do I learn about equity and diversity initiatives: at the University of Idaho?  at WSU?

How do I join an interfaith organization and learn how to teach mutual respect?


How do I find volunteer opportunities on the Palouse?

How do I volunteer with Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse?

How do I network with neighbors in Pullman? in Moscow?

How do I learn about Pullman's future community vision?


See the presentation on "CIVICS 101," a workshop on January 19, 2017, to assist participants from all political persuasions in strengthening their skills for interacting with legislators on issues of concern. The workshop also describes general Washington local and state government structures. Sponsored by a coalition of the Young Democrats of WSU, the Whitman County Democrats, the Green Party of the Palouse, and Palouse ProActive.

Contacting Your State Legislators - A guide to connecting with state government (PDF)

Get On Board: Guide to School Board Tasks and Running for Board (PDF)

Let us answer your questions!

Here we've posted some questions members have about important, timely issues.  If there's an issue you want to see us provide more information about, contact us!   

Q: How do I find information on community resources in the local area?

The Palouse Resource Guide is a great place to start for information on a variety of things, ranging from childcare to employment to disability services to medical clinics. 

Q: What is happening with DACA and how does it affect me and others I know?

Become educated about DACA facts here (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Page) and here (Northwest Immigrant Rights Project) (in English and Spanish).

Find information about DACA at WSU and at the University of Idaho 

Help yourself or help others understand changes to DACA:  Katie Evans, Associate Professor of Law at the University of Idaho, is running an immigration clinic, conducting “Know Your Rights” trainings, and assisting with DACA renewals. To find out more information about these sessions, email her: or call her: 208-885‐6110

 To talk to your elected officials about the program, contact the White House  via letter  or calling and leaving a message (1-202-456-1111). Contact your Member of Congress by finding their contact information here. 

Q: How does Planned Parenthood provide health services?  

Read about the services the organization provides to WA residents, how federal cuts to the organization might impact WA state (Congressional District 5), and a message map to help you make sense of things.